Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Splitcoaststamper Tutorial - Paint Swiping

Hi Everyone! I'm so happy to be guest designing for Splitcoaststampers today. I've created a tutorial for a technique I call, Paint Swiping. It's a fun and easy technique that creates a dramatic background. I hope you enjoy what I've put together for you and that you give this technique a try. Below is a written tutorial with photos, or you can click on the icon below and it will take you to Splitcoaststampers post which contains the video as well. Enjoy! 







Cut heavyweight cardstock to the desired size. Apply the first color of acrylic paint with a dauber onto the center portion of the cardstock.





Apply a second color with a paint dauber.





Crinkle a baby wipe and swipe a small section in an upward motion using light pressure.  Using a clean baby wipe, do the same to the next section.





Rotate the cardstock and do the same to the other side. Remember to use a clean baby wipe with each swipe.




 

Add more paint with the dauber.





Repeat the first 5 steps.





Continue this process until you are happy with the amount of coverage on the background.





Dry the background with a heat tool, making sure the paint is completely dry.





The paint swiping background is complete but you can continue to add other elements for more interest, if desired.

Here, I apply embossing paste through a stencil at the sides and middle of the painted section of the background.  NOTE:  Allow the embossing paste to dry completely before moving on to the next step. Using a heat tool may cause the embossing paste to bubble.





I decide to add some black paint splatters by mixing Black Soot Distress Paint with water on a craft mat. I mix the paint and water with a splatter brush  and with a flicking motion add splatters. When you are pleased with the amount of coverage, dry completely with a heat tool.





I finish the background by going over the edges with Black Soot Distress Paint and my background is done.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that it inspires you get out your paints and give this technique a try. Thank you so much for stopping by and thank you Splitcoaststampers for the invite to be a guest tutorial author. Have a wonderful week everyone!





3 comments:

  1. Lovely! How did you use the stamp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! In answer to you question about the stamp, I'll try to explain how I used it.

      First, I stamped the flowers over the paint swiped background and painted over the flowers with black paint. I then stamped the flowers again, on another piece of cardstock, and painted them with fresco finish paints. I then cut the flowers out and used a stylus from a flower shaping tool kit to give them dimension. I adhered them over the flowers that were stamped onto the background and painted black with black 3D foam tape. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for stopping by!

      Cathie ♥

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for explaining your method.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...