To see how I used several different embossing techniques, take a look at my step-by-step photos below.
My project consists of three backgrounds. I began working on my center background and wanted to incorporate a technique where an embossing folder is inked before the impression is made on the paper. This will leave an imprint of the stamped image "behind" the embossed image. To achieve this, I used my Misti in case I needed to re-ink the image to get a full impression on the embossing folder. You need to ink the top side of the folder.
I inked a Tim Holtz Ledger Script stamp with Potting Soil Archival Ink and applied that to the top fold of a Tim Holtz Postcard embossing folder. Carefully place your piece of card stock on the bottom fold of the embossing folder and gently close the folder so the image will not smudge. Emboss with your machine as usual.
Here is a close-up where you can see the effect I wanted. The raised words do not contain the inked image.
I distressed the edges with a Tim Holz Distresser Tool and inked the edges with Ground Espresso Distress Ink and a mini blending tool. I then set this aside.
For my bottom background, I used a Tim Holtz Harlequin stencil with Ranger Texture Paste (embossing paste) on top of a sheet of card stock from the Tim Holtz Paper Mini Stash Collage collection.
When the texture paste was completely dry, I colored it with Mermaid Lagoon Distress Ink.
I added splatters and splotches by mixing Ground Espresso Distress Ink with water and applied it to the background using a Tim Holtz Splatter Brush.
I cut out some images from another piece of card stock from the same Tim Holtz paper collection and applied them to my background using Ranger Multi Medium Matte.
The last addition to my background is from a chicken wire die set from Cheery Lynn Designs.
For my final background piece, I used one of the ovals from the Tim Holtz Ovals Movers & Shapers Die and inked it with Tea Dye and Walnut Stain Distress Inks.
I added musical notes to the oval piece with Potting Soil Archival Ink and also inked the edges with the same ink.
I began working on my focal elements and used the Tim Holtz Bird Branch die set. I cut away the bird from the branch. I coated the branch with Distress Embossing Ink and sprinkled Walnut Stain and Peeled Paint Distress embossing powders in random areas of the branch.
After the embossing powders were applied, I heated them onto the branch with my heat tool.
I used the Tim Holtz Caged Bird die for my bird, omitting the wing piece. I used the same process to color the bird that I used to color the branch by inking the piece with distress embossing ink and various embossing powders.
After adding Peeled Paint and Salty Ocean Distress Ink to the bird to deepen the colors, I also inked the edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. To create the bird's eye, I used a dot of Ranger Multi Medium Matte and sprinkled Prima Black Micro Beads over the glue.
I wanted a very particular color for my flowers so I sprayed Dylusions Ink Sprays in Cherry Pie, Squeezed Orange and Pure Sunshine in random areas on a sheet of manila card stock.
I stamped a musical note image in random areas on the card stock from where I would cut out my flowers.
I used two of the flower dies from the Tim Holtz Tiny Tattered Florals die set. When cutting out these flowers from colored card stock you made yourself, don't forget to ink the back of the flowers otherwise when you roll the flower the backside of the petals will be white.
I put the three backgrounds together and added all the other elements to finish my project. Here again is the finished product.
I hope you enjoyed seeing how I used three different types of embossing techniques to create my project and I encourage you to play along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. It's fun to see what your imagination can come up with when working on a mixed media project and I can't wait to see what you create.
For more inspiration, tips and tricks for all types of papercraft creations, follow Simon Says Stamp on:
You can find all the following supplies I used to create this project at Simon Says Stamp: